Friday, February 12, 2010

The Weekly Sketch 2/12/10




Tuesday was Denny's free Grand Slam day from 6am to 2pm. If you came between these hours you could get a free Grand Slam. When things are free, people from all walks of life come out of the woodwork to receive their prize, even if they have to wait 2 hours for a $6.99 breakfast. I went to visit my waitress mother during this promotional event and made sure the customers were treating her right, because if they didn't, my brother and I would lay down the law.

I was handed an entry form to win 52 free Grand Slams. I came to the realization that I would not enjoy a year of these meals, so I used the back of the form to make the drawing. I was also given a baby pencil to fill out the form, which I used as my tool. It seems that all my random drawings have this zombie-like feel. I really don't think about what I'm going to sketch, rather just jump into it. The people to the right of me were watching me draw, which always makes me feel uncomfortable. They're probably wondering "what's wrong with this guy." I decided to name this character Denny after the restaurant. I added a cute portion of pancakes with a cup of coffee. The people to the left of me were yelling " Miss, are they coming around with more coffee." My mom should have splashed hot coffee in their face, but decided not to. I think that is why I drew Denny yelling, because of the clowns next to me. The fork and knife were the last things I drew before my Grand Slam was laid on the table. Usually when my food comes I forget about my doodle and leave it forever. I almost never take my doodle with me, unless it was done in a sketch book. I found out that some waiters actually grab my sketches and keep them. One restaurant has my random scribble on their bulletin board. To bring this sketch home and scan it into my computer is definitely new for me. I think it is too late to submit the entry form now, this damn blog cost me 52 Grand Slams. Check back and see next Friday's sketch, talk to you later.

2 comments:

  1. Well done. Those kids that skipped school really loved your work (and my stories of violent kiddy soccer.) Give me your free grand slams and I'll show you people that need to be kicked!

    ReplyDelete