Friday, February 26, 2010


Apologies for last week's post, I was very tired and left some spelling errors. Anyone who knows me personally knows how I love trees. This week's sketch I drew on regular white paper using one of my favorite drawing mediums "pen." I know the fine art world has not included the average ballpoint into the artist's medium list yet but I love them. The ballpoint pen has a nice feel and I can achieve dark and light tones just like any other fine art ink. The subject here is a tree singing to a Raccoon on a swing. I've been personifying trees for as long as I can remember. 90% of my paintings with trees have a face or some kind of human-like quality. This tree seems to be singing a heartfelt song while the Raccoon is swinging away. I've been on a Raccoon kick recently for some reason. I think the tail does it for me, I am a big fan of stripes. I completed the sketch in around 20 minutes. With trees, I could spend hours completing every branch. This tree just came out of my head, most of the time I do not use references when working with trees. I enjoy the tree that comes purely out of mind, it may not be scientifically accurate or even belong to a species, but at least I can say I grew it. What song is the Tree singing?

No comments:

Post a Comment